Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sophomore Goes Bowling on Marley Night


A Near Perfect Game:

As a sophomore who wasn't a pot smoker and who didn't care for much of the music that my pot smoking friends enjoyed, I had no interest in the Bob Marley Concert of Hallowe'en 1979.

However, I did go down to Reed Athletic Center for my Wednesday night bowling gym class, and found the bowling alley closed. Walking through the lobby, I saw a friend from my freshman dorm working the door. He waved me over, and let me in, gratis.

So there I was, I felt, in a room full of ecstatic, writhing pot smokers. Yay. Stayed for a song or two. Went home. Go figure.

What a fun project! Would love to see some artifacts show up. Does anyone have flyers? What do the Campus and regional newspapers have? Interesting that the Colgate show is one of the only ones from the tour that does not have a extant recording mentioned on the interwebs.

- Randy Hoppe Class of 1982

3 comments:

Chris Paine said...

There's a live video of this tour somewhere in my garage...And I know an open bowling alley. Maybe we can put it all together one day in Hoboken.

Unknown said...

"Go figure" was perhaps too succinct, but my intent was to express a certain amount of bewildered regret towards my own literally sophomoric cluelessness.

Unknown said...

Therefore, good sir, I protest the descriptor "Impenitent."